Thursday, April 24, 2008

N8's Surgery- not so cute here...in pain??



N8 had surgery on Tuesday. It was one of the scariest yet funniest times ever. Nate is very afraid of needles so it made it worse that the nurse had to stick him twice. His face turned completely white and I got lighted headed and had to sit down- not sure why because I didn't have to get poked at all. He was in surgery for a kidney stone. The doctor thinks that we should still be able to have children. I guess we will see.... I posted a picture I took with his phone because I forgot the camera :( it isnt that great.

When I left to go into the waiting room, it took me a good 20 minutes to finally focus on the book that I was reading. So many thoughts run through your mind... what could or couldn't happen. It is just all so scary. His surgery lasted about 45 minutes when the doctor came and spoke to me. I had to wait for another 45 minutes for them to make sure that Nate was awake. When they let me come in to see him, I thought that he would be awake and ready to go. He was still laying in the bed and his eyes closed and a look of pain.

He was out of it but didn't seem to think so. We had about 1/2 long conversation of him asking me the most obvious questions. I kept laughing but he didn't seem to see why it was so funny that he just wanted to know where he was, what was in his arm, on his finger and why he couldn't pull out the stuff in his arm. He probably asked me about 4-5 times that same question about what was on his arm and where he was within 1 minute. Ha ha

I think that the funniest moment was when he wanted to see what they did to him and if he had some stitches or not. The door was wide open and people all around... He flipped off his blanket, pulled up the hospital gown to see what they had done. He seemed to have no problem with the whole world viewing him. Ha ha, I was laughing so hard as I scrambled to cover him with the blanket. Nate is normally very personal about everything, especially about his surgery so I know that he would have never done this if he was more conscious and thinking properly.

He is doing just fine now and hopefully no more problems. Yeah!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! Thats so awful! (and really really funny!!) Im glad I missed the blanket flying off scene, heehee.. poor dude tho, I've heard Kidney stones are as bad as child birth. I s'pose thats good if you are able to still have children, and I hope you can- what a scary thought.
Thanks for the story, that was a lot of fun to read!

The Teuschers said...

I had no idea he was going to need surgery. I'm glad everything went ok, though.
Don't think that just because Nate had surgery means you get to skip the bday party on Saturday :) You guys better be there!!!

Anonymous said...

you mean Rylee's bday party?

TooSure said...

no, It is nate's grandma's bday. why?

Anonymous said...

because you said we didn't have an excuse to skip a bday party on Saturday- we're going to Rylee's bday party tomorrow so Im really confused. Wasn't your comment in response to mine?

rubberbucketsaysso said...

if it helps Becca, I'm not sure what she meant either... maybe she was talking to lisbeth cause she she's coming down to salt lake around the time anne is coming up... idk. Sorry bout the surgery, my Nate was HILARIOUS when he came out of his carpal tunnel surgery (which he recently discovered he didn't need at all, but oh well). He did about the same thing, w/o the body display tho... ;) But he kept reminding me to ask the doctor when he could go back to work, and when he was very first coming out of it he was very aware he just had surgery, he would lift up both hands, look at the bandages and then SLAM them down on the bed, both his mom and I winced, thinking how painful that would be if he wasn't out of it and if he didn't have pain meds...owweeee.... but i would hate to see what i was like in surgery, i say weird enough stuff when i'm sleeping!

TooSure said...

Ha ha... I think you are all a bit confused. The person that posted the question about the bday party is Nate's sister-in-law. She blogs too! We were talking about Nate's grandma's bday.

TooSure said...

Oh, rylee called me yesterday excited about her birthday card that I sent her. Please remind Jon to post photos and any videos that he takes, thanks!

Anonymous said...

ooooooh..."the teuschers" is not you!!
We have lots of great pics that we will of course post :) She was so funny and so excited!! Jon took a video of you and Rylee talking..it is sooooo cute!! He's going to post that too.

Hot MMMama said...

So sorry I missed this post early, I hope n8 is feeling back to normal again. I don't think there has been scarier times than when one of my family has been in the hospital or under anesthesia for something, they act so differently, it is at one time scary and funny and scary all over again.

I am glad he acted silly enough that you could laugh out some of the stress you had in the waiting are. Hope he is well.

How come I knew that the Teuschers were in laws.. I think I may have clicked on them and recognized the cute blondy kids from photos at N8's moms house.

Also, why didn't I get invited to Rylee's Bday?? Huh? lol