Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Another dream...

I know, it is about time that I update my blog....

 Last night I was blessed with another dream about mom.  I love these dreams, whether real or not, I always feel that I get a little insight for who my mother really was.My dreams are always scattered with not much of a story, this one was enough to remember and wake up happy with the thought of meeting her. It started out with Laura calling me about a family reunion that we were making plans for.  She surprised me by telling me that she had been in contact with mom and that she was finally going to make it to the reunion this year.  I was so excited about getting the chance to finally meet her.
The day we met at the reunion, I approached and hugged her like a relative that I had wished to get to know my whole life but life had led us in different directions that prevented us from doing so.  It seems as though we talked for a bit I don’t remember what it was about.  She was dressed in older clothing, I guess made up from my memory of old photos.  She had short hair, large glasses and just a plain sweater.  She had lots of visitors and so I left to see who else had made it to the reunion.  As I left her camping spot, I noticed she had set up a sign language learning center for anyone that wanted to pick up a few things. She had several tables set up with different crafts and it soon became the hang out place for everyone.
I soon found Aunt LeAnn, Kirsten with her girls, Laura with her kids, and Becca.  They too seemed just as eager to spend time with mom. She spent a lot of time doing crafts with the grand kids, who grew to adore her.  As the days went by, everyone got their chance to spend some quality time with mom and soon my time came.  I was helping her pack up her car and finally asked her why she never came back after she got better.  She told me that she did for a little while but saw that my dad had a job that she knew would not last or support the family and so she chose to leave.  She had been living in California this entire time while we all grew up without her.
I was a frustrated that she chose to walk out on us and do something else with her life. She took the easy way out and didn’t feel that she did anything wrong. I finished helping her pack up her things so she could again leave us and go back home; wondering when we would see her again.
When I woke up I was happy that I got to see her, even though it was just a dream.  I thought about that last part and how annoyed I was to find out that she left us by choice. Then I came to realize that I would not be the person I am now today if she was a part of my life, as sad as it sounds.  I could have ended up with a completely different life.  I would not have the family I have today. I became who I am today because of my step-mom, step-family, my dad and my brothers and sisters.  I realized that I should not try to wish it all away. I should not try to wish it had been different because I would have missed out on everything I have today. 

I don't know if the dream had any meaning but I try to document each dream I have so I can always have those memories and reminders.  It has been about 3 years since my last dream.

4 comments:

rubberbucketsaysso said...

LOVE your dream. I think that is a lot how it will be when we are with her again. I have felt her so close by for the last little while. Maybe because I've been researching the thirteen tribes and the prophecies related to their return, as well as trying to do genealogy. I don't know, but I've been loving it.
As to the rest of it... I can tell you with assurance that she never would have left us voluntarily. EVER. I used to feel abandoned by her at times as well, I knew it wasn't fair to her, but I couldn't stop feeling that way. She fought very hard for a long time and I think it was the hardest thing she ever had to do, letting go when her body just couldn't take any more and she knew what she'd be leaving behind.
In a way, I'm kinda glad about it. Daughters and mothers are always on a crash course with each other as they age, and I have never had a fight with her, never shouted mean things at her when I felt she was ruining my life, etc. She has always been someone to look up to and be like. Also, she can easily keep an eye on all of us up there, but down here it would have been much harder. Anyways, yeah. I love snuggly feelings from mom!

cjmom said...

Carla and I went to see Carol in the hospital the December before Carol died. It amazes me she lasted so long after. But she was fighting because she didn't want to leave her children. She was so determined to hang on. Just know you all were very loved and she fought until she wore out trying to stay. You have grown into such a lovely young woman. I know she has been watching over all of you.

christianne said...

Thanks for sharing this Annie. I used to have dreams in which I visited w/her too. Very real and very wonderful. I am glad you got to as well.

I think sometimes dreams can be a combination of vision and therapy. Sometimes just therapy. Think it is important to look at that to a child or an adult...even a sister that when someone you love passes to the other side we feel abandoned. Sounds like you processed through that very well.

I agree w/Cathy. She hung on a very long time because of her children and husband.

I am glad you got to see her. One day we will have that Family Reunion! Looking forward to that!!!
love you

christianne said...

Oh and I agree w/Laura too.